SANDRA’S SPICED LEMON-HONEY REFILLABLE TEA BASE

A perfect anytime hot tea beverage 
that's heavenly during the cold months.
It's also very soothing on sore throats 
or when you feel other symptoms
of a cold or flu...
Yields: 1 cup
Prep: 5 Mins.

A very, very easy tea base to prepare in a matter of minutes that you'll enjoy for months.  I initially tried this using only lemon and honey, although I found that I prefer it more so with the addition of infusing it with a fresh slice of ginger and ground cardamom.

INGREDIENTS 
--(I used organic)

1 meyer lemon (or regular), chopped, with seeds removed
½” thick slice of fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
Honey (enough to cover mixture)

METHOD

Combine all ingredients, in order listed, in a sterilized ½-pint (1 cup) mason jar. Cover jar, and store in refrigerator for 3 days. You’ll notice that the lemons start to melt into the honey, which thins the mixture turning it into the consistency of marmalade.

To prepare, drizzle 1 teaspoon of tea base into an 8-oz. cup of hot tea; stir, and serve.  

If you prefer a hot toddy, then add a tablespoon or two of your favorite spirit (my occasional preference is rum on a cold and snowy winter night).

Refill tea base on an as-needed basis with the above ingredients, storing for up to a total of 3 months.  I also prefer to stir the tea base once in a while, which is easy to do just before adding it to a cup of tea.

This tea base would be a great gift to provide to friends and family. ~ Enjoy!

I used indoor-grown meyer lemons
from my dwarf citrus tree

6 comments:

Carole said...

Fantastic! How about linking it in to Food on Friday: Lemons and limes? Have a great week!

Ps love that you have got me in your favourite blogs list! Thank you.

sandra said...

This recipe is now linked up, thanks Carole! You are welcome and a nice addition to my favorite blogs ;) Have a wonderful week as well...

Unknown said...

Cardamom honey? I love sound of this-))) Sandra, how is Alaska? Getting cold there now? I hope you have a wonderful evening and thank you for visiting me!

sandra said...

Yes Yelena, believe it or not after 3 days of infusing it's incredible! Alaska is still rainy, cold and quite windy just now at 49 degrees...burr! A perfect day for this tea base added to hot black tea ;) You are welcome as I love your site, and thank you for visiting mine as well - a great evening to you too dear lady!

Carole said...

Thanks for linking in Sandra. Cheers

sandra said...

My pleasure, Carole!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...