|Max often prepares this rustic and comforting stew |
during hunting trips for his buddies,
on our F/V Chelsey for deckhands,
and at home for us.
It's nothing short of incredible...
Prep: 10 mins. |
Cook: 1 hr. and
45 mins. total stewing time
· 1 lb. moose sirloin, cut into ½ cubes (or venison, or beef)
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 2 (15 oz. cans) beef broth
· ¼ onion, chopped
· 1 cup celery, chopped
· 4 carrots chopped
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 1 (15 oz. can) Italian stewed tomatoes – retain juice, and break up tomatoes in a small bowl
· 1 pkg. dry pork gravy mix (mixed with 1 cup of water)
· 1 tablespoon worcestershire
· 2 teaspoons soy sauce
· Freshly ground pepper, to taste
· 1 russet potato, peeled, and cut ½" cubes (keep in cold water to prevent browning)
· ½ cup frozen peas
· ½ cup frozen corn
· 1 cup frozen broccoli, roughly chopped
Heat a dutch oven, or heavy-bottom soup pot, to medium-high heat. Coat the moose meat cubes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then add to hot pot and sear meat to a light brown. Add beef broth and bring to boil while scraping bits off bottom of pot, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer moose meat on low for 1 hour.
Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, stewed tomatoes, gravy mixed with water, worcestershire, soy sauce, and pepper to pot. Turn heat to medium-high just to bring stew to boiling, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the potatoes, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the peas, corn, and broccoli and simmer for 10 final minutes. - Enjoy!