|A very elegant dessert that you'll be proud to serve|
to your family and/or guests...
Prep Time: 10 min |
Cook Time: 20 min.
· 5 apples, peeled cored and thinly sliced
· 1 pint of fresh blackberries
· 1 (12-ounce can) lemon/lime soda
· 1 1/2 cups water
· 1/2 cup unsalted butter
· 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
· 1/3 cup molasses
· 3/4 cup maple syrup
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1 pinch salt
· 1/2 cup flavored brandy, apple, or orange
· 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped (optional)
· 1/2 cup raisins, finely chopped (optional)
· 1 (10-inch round) store-bought angel food cake
Place apples in large bowl with 1 can soda and 1-1/2 cups water; let stand for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-heat melt the butter, then add brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt. Stir until sugar has dissolved and starts to simmer; remove skillet from heat (so as not to flame) and add brandy, move skillet back to heat and add pecans, raisins and apples. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until apples are tender and liquid has reduced to a syrupy consistency.
Top angel food cake with apple mixture, and then well of cake (as in photograph) with the addition of blackberries placed in center. Slice and serve with a side of vanilla ice cream and more fresh blackberries.