|A fantastic dish that's a crowd pleaser and a perfect |
Cinco de Mayo appetizer, potluck contribution,
or just for a special game day occasion...
Cook/Prep: 30 mins.
Posted by Sandra
· 1 lb. lean moose burger (or venison, or beef)
· ½ white onion, diced
· ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 can of refried beans
· 1 pkg. taco seasoning
· 1 teaspoon chili powder
· 2 avocados, peeled – seeds removed – and mashed with a fork.
· 1 teaspoon lemon juice
· ½ tomato, chopped
· sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
· 2 cups sour cream (reserve some to dollop on top)
· 1 small can hot green chilies (or mild if you like it less spicy); although there are many ingredients so it's not too hot if you choose the hot option ;)
· 2 small cans sliced black olives
· 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
· 2 cups medium picante salsa
· 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- a few dollops of sour cream on top.
-- Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips (for scooping)
In a medium-size skillet heat to medium-high heat and brown the burger, about ¾’s the way through add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, taco seasoning, and chili powder; cooking until the onions are translucent. Add in the refried beans, and gently stir to combine, just until bubbly. Remove from heat, and let cool.
Make guacamole by smashing the avocados in a small bowl with a fork, and add the lemon juice, and chopped tomato; mixing to combine. Season with sea salt and ground pepper, to taste.
Layer cooled meat mixture on bottom of 9”x13” glass dish (or other decorative vessel), and then layer sour cream, guacamole, green chilies, black olives, shredded cheese, picante sauce, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, and green onions. Top with dollops of sour cream. Serve at room temperature, and for easy dipping with restaurant-style flour tortilla chips. - Enjoy!
Tip: I provide a serving spoon to scoop out layers of dip onto small serving plates so the guests can also place chips alongside.