|Excellent for St. Patrick's Day or any other day of the year...|
Prep: 15 mins.
Cook: 4 hrs.
· 4 lb. center-cut corned-brisket, trimmed of visible surface fat
· 1 bottle of beer (Recommend: Alaskan Pale Ale)
· 2 tablespoons pickling spice (tied up in cheesecloth)
· Water to cover
· 3 large garlic cloves, minced
· 1 lemon, quartered, seeds removed
· 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
***Add to pot 1 hour before done:
· 10 medium red potatoes; scrubbed, unpeeled, and cut in half
· 5 medium carrots; scrubbed, and cut into 1” chunks
***Add to pot 20 minutes before done:
· 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
· 1 large head of green cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
--Optional: Fresh lemon wedges for serving (although highly recommended)
· ¾ cup sour cream
· ¼ cup jarred ‘hot’ horseradish
· 1 tablespoon dried chives
· 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Rinse brisket to release its corning salt. Place corned beef in dutch oven and cover with beer and water. Add the pickling spice tied in cheesecloth, then the garlic, lemon wedges, and pepper. Cover pot and bring to boil on stove top. Transfer dutch oven, covered, to preheated oven, placing it on middle rack. Braise for 3 hours, and add ingredients listed as stated above (1 hour before done), and return, covered, to oven. After 40 minutes, add remaining ingredients listed as stated above (20 minutes before done), and return, covered, to oven.
Meanwhile, prepare horseradish sauce in a small bowl by adding all ingredients in order listed; whisk to combine (I like to do so about 1 hr. ahead of time to allow flavors of sauce to meld)
Place vegetables on serving platter, adding brisket sliced against the grain and drizzled with a bit of cooking liquid. Place lemon wedges around edge of platter. Serve meal family style with a side of horseradish sauce. ~ Enjoy!