|A rustic baking soda drop biscuit is the|
ultimate addition to most any meal...
Posted: by Carl
--(my Son who made these in Home Ec.
many years ago)
Prep: 10 mins. |
Cook 10 to 12 mins.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of unsalted cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a bowl, sift through a sieve into a large bowl to combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter (with two butter knives, or a pastry cutter) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk milk and egg; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Drop by heaping spoonfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Tip: 1) I also substitute buttermilk for the milk for slightly tangy biscuits; and
2) Be sure your Baking Powder and Cream of Tartar are fresh so they rise and you get the right texture!
These are the only drop buscuits my Mom and I make since Carl (my son) provided us with his Home Ec Recipe from high school about 15 years ago...THX, SON ;-)
Post a Comment