|A rustic baking soda drop biscuit is the|
ultimate addition to most any meal...
Posted: by Carl
--(my Son who made these in Home Ec.
many years ago)
Prep: 10 mins. |
Cook 10 to 12 mins.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of unsalted cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a bowl, sift through a sieve into a large bowl to combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter (with two butter knives, or a pastry cutter) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk milk and egg; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Drop by heaping spoonfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Tip: 1) I also substitute buttermilk for the milk for slightly tangy biscuits; and
2) Be sure your Baking Powder and Cream of Tartar are fresh so they rise and you get the right texture!